Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Image in this Post May Be Unsettling







This is an ad for Superette, a clothing line and store out of New Zealand.  It is one of many ads that feature dead, bloodied, and mangled human bodies.

Because these ads appear in popular magazines that target young adults, we can safely assume that the intended audience would fall into that age group.  Beyond this, the ads that comprise this campaign almost always feature individuals in risky situations or in surroundings that are posh or culturally significant.  As such, these ads will appeal most to young adults who see themselves as trendsetters, who live life on the edge, and who are culturally well-rounded and  affluent. 

Interestingly, I don't think the immediate purpose of these ads is to compel individuals to go out and shop at Superette.  The clothing here, for instance, takes a back seat to the setting and circumstance.  Instead, I think the purpose is to make the name of the brand and store recognizable and memorable so that when one is shopping and sees a Superette, they will be more likely to take a peak inside, just for the sake of curiosity.  And all retailers know that the most difficult aspect of selling a product is getting a consumer to enter the store. 

Shock value is the main feature of this ad, a pathetic appeal (pun intended).  The emotions evoked here are, of course, shock, perhaps even horror at the lifeless body lying in a pool of blood.  There is nothing logical or credible presented to the viewer to show that Superette does, in fact, offer stylish or well-made clothing (what we'd expect from a clothing ad).  In fact, the featured image is the antithesis of logical--roller skates and a marble spiral staircase?  Only an idiot would attempt such a feat.  

Because of the roller skates and the electric blue go-go dress, the ad seems to invoke images of a 1960s' acid trip gone horribly wrong.   We could consider this an analogy, but it is so poorly done, I won't. 

The marble staircase does exude affluence and historical significance.  These are rhetorical strategies that could be effective in targeting the proper audience for Superette.  

Though my analysis here is harsh, I think this ad is incredibly effective at meeting its purpose.  And I applaud Superette for not shying away from such risky marketing strategies.  And even though I'd never ever buy anything from Superette, if I find myself standing on a street corner across from one of their stores, I might actually take a peak inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment